Getting your motorcycle permit is a major step in the process of owning a motorcycle. The process is nowhere near as difficult as many people think it is, but some steps need to be followed to ensure you follow all the necessary procedures. Here, we’ll give you a rundown of what you need to know and how to get your permit.
What you need to know
While some of the requirements may seem complicated, most of them are pretty straightforward. Before you make a purchase and take possession of your motorcycle, it’s important to know what you need to do.
You need a motorcycle safety certificate to get a motorcycle license
- You need an endorsement for motorcycles or scooters
- You need to have your motorcycle inspected by the Division of Motor Vehicles to ensure your bike is roadworthy and safe
- You need to have your motorcycle safety helmet registered
- You need to register with the Division of Motor Vehicles as a motorcycle rider
- You have to have a carnet de moto a2 (motorcycle license a2), your motorcycle safety certificate, and an endorsement on your license.
How to get your permit
For motorcycle permit applications, you’ll need to submit the following documents:
- A copy of your driver’s license
- Two passport-size photos (copy them for identification purposes only)
- Credentials as a U.S. resident or foreign visitor (if you don’t have one)
- An owner’s certificate that shows ownership of the vehicle
- Two additional notarized copies of your driver’s license (one to get a temporary permit, and the other to send to the Department of Motor Vehicles to get a permanent one)
- A copy of the person licensed to drive the vehicle on the motorcycle.
- An addendum that the owner of the vehicle will sign stating they will sign over the vehicle and sign any penalties if the motorcycle is not used properly.
What is the motorcycle permit test?
The motorcycle permit test is a series of questions based on the Department of Public Safety, Division of Motor Vehicles requirements, and state laws. The test can be taken in person, online, over the phone, or on your computer. If you’re taking it over the phone or online, make sure that you have all of your necessary documents ready.
Questions about License Restrictions
If you’ve ever driven a car or been a passenger in a car, you’ll be familiar with the driver’s license. The license lets the driver of a car, in particular, drive a car. It isn’t quite as powerful in the motorcycling world, but it’s still just as important.
What are the restrictions?
- The restrictions in the motorcycling world vary, but the most common ones will be:
- Car or motorcycle license
- Limited vehicle ownership
- One-passenger vehicle
- Reckless driving
- Speeding/Distracted Driving
- Drive over the age of 70
- Distracted driving is something many people know about.
Conclusion Motorcycle permits are a relatively easy process to do and if you follow our guide on the process, you’ll know how to get a carnet de moto a2 (motorcycle license a2) in no time.